Law Student Loans & Finances

Studying Law Loans, Awards and Bursaries

There are a range of student loans, awards and bursaries available to help fund undergraduate or postgraduate law study at the UK universities listed.

Undergraduate funding

Students from the UK and EU can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan from the Student Loans Company, to cover tuition fees and living expenses. A range of scholarships and bursaries may also be available depending on the institution studied at.

Postgraduate funding

Postgraduate study is a common choice for students from wide-ranging backgrounds. Students usually have to fund postgraduate study directly, though many sources of funding exist. In addition to scholarships exist, alongside a number of other sources of funding, including loans, are available.

Sources of loans:

Future Finance offer student loans of between £2,000 and £40,000 to help cover tuition fees and living expenses. All students and courses are considered. All loans are subject to credit checks and approval for further details please visit

Career Development Loans are bank loans designed to help you pay for your study if you want to undertake a vocational course either full-time or part-time to improve your career prospects . Unlike other bank loans, the government will pay the interest rate of your loan while you study and you don’t have to start paying back your loan until one month after you have finished your training. For further information about Career Development Loans visit the government website

Co-operative Bank

Discretionary LEA Awards

Although, there is limited support available from Local Education Authorities (LEAs) for postgraduate students a number of discretionary awards are available. Contact your Local Education Authority directly to find out the discretionary awards available to students undertaking postgraduate study.


A training course may cover some or all costs. Some training contracts offered by firms include sponsorship of Legal Practice Course and Graduate Diploma in Law. In return they would normally expect you to serve your two-year training contract with them and possibly make a longer employment commitment.
The Training Contract and Pupillage Handbook and provide lists of firms who are willing to sponsor students